Discharge Instructions For Parents of Children with Appendicitis
- Follow-up with Pediatric Surgeon in 1 to 2 weeks. Call (602) 254-5561 to schedule an appointment.
- Your child may shower 48 hours (2 days) after surgery.
- Your child may bathe or swim 4 days after surgery.
- Within the first 14 days after surgery, call your surgeon for Temperature greater than 101oF, inability to eat, vomiting, severe diarrhea, or any problems with breathing.
- Medications for pain: Tylenol with codeine as needed. You may use Motrin or regular Tylenol if the pain is mild.
- If one of the incisions starts to drain pus, put your child in a warm bath with mild soap and let the pus drain. After the bath, dry the area off and cover the wound with a dry gauze or large bandaid. Call the office for an appointment within the next day or so.
- Watch for constipation and stay well hydrated. You may give your child prune juice if needed for constipation.
- Your child may return to school when he or she is off of prescription pain medicine.