Discharge Instructions For Parents of Children with Hydrocele Repair
- Mild discoloration or bruising of genitalia. This is normal and will gradually disappear. This may occur on both the left and right side, even though surgery may have only been on one side.
- Difficulty in moving about and standing up straight.
- Moderate pain or discomfort.
CALL PHYSICIAN IF:
- Unable to urinate for 8 hours after surgery.
- Unable to tolerate liquids without vomiting.
- Dressing becomes saturated with blood or there is active bleeding.
- Fever over 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- No relief of pain with medication.
- Unable to have a bowel movement after several days. Prescription pain medication can cause constipation. Discontinue prescription pain medication and switch to plain Tylenol and ibuprofen. Also, try increasing water intake, drinking prune juice, eating raisins, prunes or using over the counter glycerin suppositories.
- Give pain medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Activities are not restricted. Children may play and run as tolerated. The more the patient moves, the less pain they will feel. Patients may return to school usually within 3 days.
- Start with a clear liquid diet. If this is well tolerated you may restart their regular diet. Nausea and vomiting may occur after anesthesia. If this happens, hold feeding for 1 to 2 hours, then begin with clear liquids again.
- Babies may be changed and bathed normally. The incision is sealed with a glue-like substance.
- For older children, keep wound dry for 48 hours. Children may shower or sponge bathe after 48 hours. Do not soak the incision in a bath or pool for 5 days. No swimming in a natural body of water for 7 days. Leave the piece of tape (steri-strip) in place. It will come off on its own, or the doctor will remove it at the post operative visit.
- You will need to call the surgeon’s office at 602-254-5561 to schedule a postoperative appointment for 2 weeks after the date of surgery. Try to do this the day after surgery.
- If school requires a doctor’s release before the patient can return, call the surgeon’s office and leave a message on the nurse’s line with the school’s fax number. Patients may return to school prior to the 2 week post operative appointment but with restrictions. Gym/PE as tolerated beginning 1 week after surgery.